When I make a post on a friday or saturday before a weekend of fights, my goal is to give readers all the information they need to watch as informed fans. Interviews, quotes, record, highlights and articles all help me accomplish this goal. The objective is that an individual who knows next to nothing about boxing or any of the fighters could have a conversation with other fans while watching the fight and maybe even have a few people think or say “hey, that guy/girl knows whats up.”
Alas, my weekend worshipping ways have caught up with me. No time to do extra reasearch or find that perfect highlight video to hype the fights. There are however, a couple things I can mention off the top of my head.
1) Well done, Showtime. The rival network has picked up HBO’s slack and put on some quality events this summer. They are at it again with a Timothy Bradley and Alfredo Angulo doubleheader.
2) If there is one thing I am sure of this weekend, it is that top rated light welterweight Timothy Bradley will preserve his undefeated record and defeat Luis Carlos Abregu. Wait a minute! you may think. Abregu is undefeated in 29 fights with 23 knockouts! Surely he can compete with Bradley! Wrong. Bradley wins a wide UD by pressuring Abregu, picking his spots, using his athleticism and outboxing and out working LCA to a UD. Bet the house.
3) Perro must prove himself tonight. In order to beat top quality contender Joachim Alcine, Alfredo “Perro” Angulo must display class and ability to box, keep composed and stick to his strengths. Alcine is a good boxer with a bit of a difficult style, so it should be a good test for the up and coming Perro.
4) Tuaman fights tonight! Love to see David Tua back in action, keeping it active. I expect he will annihilate Monte Barrett inside of three rounds. Tua, who is on a slow and steady comeback trail, takes another good looking fight against Monte Barrett, who has lost three straight and is a placemat for aggressive, dominant fighters.
5) Bradley via UD, Perro by TKO 10 and Tua via KO 2. Check ya lata peace!